I have no idea what I dreamed about last night.
I only know I woke up sweaty, a little nervous, and completely confused.
I expect this to continue this week. Here's why:
1. I'm reading more steampunk - Wicked As They Come by Delilah S. Dawson, in fact - the precursor to the novella I read last week. I'm immersed in a world of corsets and petticoats, bludmen and bludbunnies. The imagery is so strong, it sticks with me throughout the day and night, and sometimes I look down, expecting to see long, flowing skirts instead of my usual yoga pants.
2. Charles and I saw the play, The Elaborate Entrance of Chat Diety, last night. Some friends of ours were in it, at the PURE Theater here in Charleston, and it was amazing. Seriously. I'd never heard of it...but now I have, and so have you. You should read it. Anyway, though, it was about wrestlers, and involved lots of half-naked men throwing each other about, less than ten feet away from me. NOT what I'd call a typical Saturday night's imagery.
3. After the play, we had a long chat with a friend who is going to film a book trailer for my forthcoming novel, Undead America: Volume 1. There will be zombies...and blood...and more zombies...and a chase sequence. It's going to be a blast to film, and I get to be a zombie...yes, you read that right. It's going to be fun...and disconcerting...and crazy...and did I mention fun??
4. Holy hell, we watched the trailer for Sinister last night, and it looks utterly terrifying. Like, images burned into my sorry brain, terrifying. I don't think I'll NOT dream about it anytime soon.
5. I've been editing again, on a book I thought I'd put to bed until some well-timed beta-reader suggestions convinced me otherwise. This is a story about a girl who's transformed into a monster by a network of crazy megalomaniacs. (Oversimplification alert!! Oversimplification alert!!) I talk a lot about the smell of this half-rotten girl, and I swear...I can smell it. *shudders*
6. I've had to put two other projects on the back burner while I finish up #5. One's a dark adventure story for kids, involving monsters and the New York City subway system...the other's more of an epic sci-fi, with aliens, other worlds, and a planet with purple skies. I've accepted that I cannot write these stories right now like I want to so badly (nor can I write them simultaneously AFTER I finish editing), but that doesn't mean I'm not still planning them...thinking about them....sketching pictures of the characters in my head...dreaming up bigger and badder monsters.... It never ends.
So. Yeah. Lots of conflicting and confusing images pouring into my brain this week. I expect a lot of crazy dreams and weird, half-hearted conversations in which I trail off in the middle and just ramble.....