February 27, 2012

Working-Mom-Unpublished-Writer Day

Several weeks ago the Twitterverse was all, well, a-twitter.  

Many agents posted dozens of times one day under the auspices of #AgentDay. They talked about how they spent their time, what they did, with whom they spoke.

It was all very interesting and educational. They do a lot, those agents, juggling tons of balls at all times.

It got me thinking, though. What the heck do my days look like? I work. I'm a mom. I'm a wife. I'm a dog owner. I'm a writer. My days are WAY different than the glamorous lives of those in publishing. And I juggle! I swear, I juggle.

So...here goes:

4:45 a.m.  Startled awake by something. Turns out to be Zoe standing inches from my face, awake with a booger-nose. Yes, I had to wipe boogers of my three-year-old's face at 4:45 a.m. I escorted her back to bed. 

5:00 a.m. Aaaaand there's the alarm. Yes, we get up at 5 on workdays, so we can go to work prior to most local traffic. I hate it. I am NEVER cheerful at 5 a.m. I hit snooze, but as soon as I close my eyes again Zoe's back in my face. Charles rolls out of bed, and Zoe rolls in.

5:15 a.m. I get out of bed and start the morning routine. Shower, get ready, head downstairs, get coffee, get Zoe dressed, give her breakfast, make lunches for Charles and me, clean up Zoe's breakfast, clean up lunch dishes, hustle out to the car and leave the house by 6:45.

7:00 a.m. We're in the car. I'm grouchy. Tired. But Zoe starts telling a story about "toodles," creatures that look like ants and come out at night to poop in your grass. I finally laugh.

7:20 a.m. Drop Zoe off at school. She stands at the window like a puppy, waving, banging, and giggling as Charles and I walk away. It's always the cutest and the saddest part of my day.

7:30 a.m. Head to my desk at the office. I work in a gray cubicle, but luckily I'm surrounded by great people. I test software for a living. It's...every bit as exciting as it sounds. This early in the morning, I eat breakfast, run the daily software update to get all the latest code, and figure out what I need to do that day.

7:35 a.m. I swear, that's usually when the first idea hits. Want to write. Oh, so want to write. But I'm at work.

10:00 a.m. Still testing software. Today, my cubemate and another good friend were both out. Things were quiet. I had another good idea, but persisted in software testing.

12:00 p.m. Lunch! Woo! Foods! Internets! Jotting notes for future work! 

I should add here: Charles works downstairs. At least once today I went to his office to get a handful of Lifesavers wintergreen mints that I keep stashed there for myself and for his team.

Various points throughout the day: Would you believe I received no less than THREE agent rejections today? I know it's all part of the process of trying to publish your first novel, but still? THREE? In one day? Not such a great day.

4:00 p.m. Time go go home! Huzzah! I head downstairs to collect my husband, eat another mint, do a little chatting, and we finally head out the door.

4:15 p.m. Pick up the beast!! We head to the playground at her school where I chat with her teacher and Charles watches Zoe and her friends climb on the monkey bars.

4:20 p.m. We climb in the car to head home. Zoe wants to play I-Spy. We each spy various colored-objects, most of which turn out to be either the gray sky (me), a green street sign (Zoe), or a purple sticker (Charles).  

4:45 p.m. We're home! Huzzah! I go into the back yard to take care of the dogs, feeding them and hanging out for a few even though it's still raining lightly. Zoe shows me a boo-boo sustained on her index finger. She thinks it needs a band-aid (it doesn't). Still, when we get inside, I placate her with a Wolverine one.

5:05 p.m. Time for me to work out a little. Zoe and I get out our weights and do a little strength-training (ha!).  She mostly just dances with hers and almost drops them on her toes and head no less than six times. 

5:30 p.m. Time to make the dinner! While I prep foods, Charles watches Iron Chef America (in which the secret ingredient is SAUSAGE and the carnivores in all of us drool). Zoe plays. Tonight the game was racing her Lego cars and trucks around the loop between our living room and kitchen. They get disqualified when they're not nice to each other.  Also, when they crash. Many cars and trucks are repeatedly disqualified.

5:35 p.m. I pour a glass of wine. I need a glass of wine. Charles is feeling amorous and keeps kissing me. I pour a second glass. See above note re: THREE rejections in one day. Usually I only have one. Ack! I only have enough in my house for one more glass tomorrow night. Must head to Trader Joe's for wine this weekend!

6:00 p.m. We sit down to dinner.  Even though we're not a religious family, Zoe sings a nightly blessing.  It is sung to the tune of Frere Jaques.

We are thankful, we are thankful, yes we are, yes we are. Thank you for our families. Thank you for our friends. And our food.  And our food.

She then sings a list of all the foods on the table for which we are thankful. Tonight it was: quesadilla, tacos, beans, tomatoes, chips, salsa, avocado, lemonade, beer and wine. I am especially thankful for the wine...I mean, my family...

6:45 p.m. Zoe and I head upstairs to get her in her jammies.  Charles cleans the kitchen.

7:00 p.m. Charles and Zoe are watching the Daytona 500 tonight.  Apparently they discovered Saturday that Zoe likes car races.  She can stay up a little late to watch it tonight, but she NEEDS to be in bed before 8:00 p.m.  See above note re: waking up at 4:45.  Please note: I do NOT care for NASCAR.  It's loud. 

So. It's now 7:30 (ish). I can finally sit down and start writing. I am energized right now, having just started a new project about which I'm super-excited, so I should be able to bang out about 2000 words tonight. But reminder: see above note re: waking up at 4:45 a.m. If I stay awake until 9:30, it'll be impressive.

This isn't a strange day - this is actually fairly typical. Minus the NASCAR - that is new, and annoying. I am trying to create a career based on one or two hours of work per night before I collapse in exhaustion. When I'm writing a first draft, I try to average 1500 words per night. Right now, I'm drafting AND querying, though, so that eats up time as well.

It's a bit of a hectic life. I wish I had known that I was a writer before Zoe came; I think of all that free time I used to have and I drool. But considering I only really started writing last year, well, my progress hasn't been terrible.

I love what I've written thus far, and I'm excited about my new project. SO excited about my new project.

And about my life? I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

(Minus the NASCAR. Please can we turn off the NASCAR? Please, someone, rescue me from the NASCAR!)

No comments:

Post a Comment